Brisbane City Council (BCC) has proposed changes to the Enoggera Creek Sport and Recreation Precinct, which means potentially no more Touch Football at Newmarket, Finsbury Park, and potentially not anywhere in this precinct!
The Enoggera Creek Sport and Recreation Precinct includes sport and recreation parks between Lutwyche and Enoggera Roads, stretching along the suburbs of Windsor, Wilston and Newmarket.
The current proposal by BCC includes the transformation of the existing Hockey and Cricket Club fields into baseball and softball fields, relocating the Hockey and Cricket Clubs, however, leaving no provision for Touch Football!
Why is it important to us?
- City Touch Football has been running at Finsbury Park, Newmarket for well over 30 years.
- We cater for over 3,000 players and referees each year staying fit and healthy through their touch football participation.
- This venue is one of our largest competitions, our participants love it and we love it.
- We continue to support local sporting bodies such as the Commercial Hockey Club, and have ensured the facilities were well utilised and remain a vibrant community asset.
The decision of BCC to remove access to this green space and remove the opportunity for thousands of individuals each year to participate in our social touch football competition is something we won’t stand for!
How you can help
Firstly, we cannot do this without your support.
Your support is required to remind Brisbane City Council we have a voice, and we love our Newmarket green space!
You can have your say by attending a face to face information session this weekend at the following venues:
- Saturday 27 March 2021, 10am-12pm – McCook Park, Corner of Finsbury and Edmondstone Streets, Newmarket
- Sunday 28 March 2021, 10am-12pm – Northey Street City Farm Sunday Market, 16 Victoria Street, Windsor
- Sunday 28 March 2021, 3.30pm-5.30pm – Northey Street Dog Park, Downey Street, Windsor
And/or by completing an online survey.
Consultation closes on Friday 9 April 2021.
Further information and plans are available at Enoggera Creek Sport and Recreation Precinct.
PLEASE HAVE YOUR SAY TO STOP THIS DECISION BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!